Thursday 8 March 2012

Derbyshire. Owl. Flowers

In that order.

Over last weekend myself and Amy ventured into Derbyshire for a few days of Cottaging (without the associated homosexual activities) in the village of Brassington near Carsington Water. Brassington was a cracking little village but with no internet, no phone signal and no shop (but two pubs thankfully) it was certainly a slight shock to the system.
Didn't do much birding to be fair but several Tawny Owl were calling around the village on the first night of the stay but strangely not again. A walk along the Cromford canal didn't produce the hoped for Hawfinch but did produce some real quality views of Little Grebe, with 6 pairs occupying a relatively short stretch of water. The amazing clarity of the canal also allowed you to watch them hunting underwater, a rare sight!
A trip up the Heights of Abraham was also interesting as I'd never been up it before but now i'm going to put on my tight trousers and complain about the price. 13 beans each it cost and yes it did also include a guided tour down the old lead mine at the top. But considering I could go to Twycross Zoo for example and pay a similar price to be amused by stuff like Giant Tortoises humping and Gorillas eating their own sick (yes, I've actually witnessed both those events before at Twycross!) I think Abraham is being a greedy fuck.
Anyway less moaning, Its time for a photographic interlude.



can I tick this?





Wahey!

Back to today:
I had to drive to Northampton this afternoon to hand in an assignment and on the way back I checked a couple of Little Owl sites and happily found two birds at separate sites although only one bird played the "im going to let you take my photo" game. Its the same bird as featured a few weeks ago and im happy to report these photo's are an improvement!






I also had a quick blast with attempting to photograph some of the emerging spring flowers in the garden too:




No comments:

Post a Comment